Why Choose The International
Montessori School Of Fort Lauderdale
When enrolling their child in a Montessori school, the family also chooses an educational practice guided by the Montessori System, created by Dr. Maria Montessori.
The Montessori System brings together different aspects for a pedagogical practice that relies on structured environments to stimulate the child’s action and provide a process of self-education, manipulative activities of free choice that respect the manifestation of different types of intelligence, classes of mixed ages with possibilities of systematic experiences that lead to the construction of security, autonomy, mutual cooperation and the experience of the true spirit of a community, which sediments the emergence of the competent and ethical citizen.
The Montessori Education is based on the upmost respect towards children’s development and AMI provides the principles and practices that Montessori organizations must follow. You can read all about authentic Montessori education in AMI’s website Association Montessori Internationale.
Through its affiliated societies in each country AMI supports teachers, schools and families in understanding the Montessori Education. AMI Montessori has compiled a list of school in USA that follow the principles and practices of authentic Montessori education. On their website they offer a list of aspects that a school must implement if they called themselves Montessori.
When looking for a Montessori school, here is a checklist of the very basic Montessori principles that an authentic Montessori school must follow:
- A foundation of respect towards children drives the school. Children are valued, listened to, and respected as individuals. Never use punishments, rewards, praise or any other type of external motivation.
- Lead teachers in every environment hold an AMI certification for the age-range they are teaching.
- Montessori programs have multi-age classrooms for all the levels and contain a complete set of approved materials to support the Montessori curriculum.
- A culture of cooperation over competition is the cultivated between the children and the wider school community.
- The greater goal of peace education, respect towards society and sustainable development is pursued. Check out AMI’s stratic plan 2018-23.
Above all, before deciding on a Montessori school for your child, we strongly recommend visiting the school to understand their values and whether they are a good fit for your family.